2.26.2009

Screen Printing!!!

The reason I was up until 3am:



This was my first time screen printing completely on my own from start to finish... not everything came out perfect but I was still excited about a lot of it. Screen printing is just so much fun. I love it. 

It was a kind of long proccess:
1. Coat the screen with the photo-emulsion chemical. Have to make sure its completely smooth and even. 
2. Let it dry for almost an hour. In the meantime, have copies of images made onto transparencies. 
3. Then, lay the transparencies over the screen, and using a 150W bulb with an aluminum pie pan around it shine a light on top of all of it for 45 minutes. 
4. After the exposure you have to spray it with cold war for around 10 minutes to get all the photo-emulsion stuff out of the blank areas you want to print through.
5. Let it dry... then print.



Some of the prints just kept coming out really light... I probably need to remake those.


The text was the hardest part. I need to get a piece of plexiglass to lay over the transparencies so that when I expose the photoemulsion-covered screen the text will hopefully come out much clearer next time. Which means... I'm going to be doing this all over again with a new screen. This was kind of a first trial...

I think I like the greyish envelope a lot more. But the print was a little too messy.


Luckily my hands didn't get as dirty as I though they would :)




I'll have some of the prints I did (my business card and envelope) to show in class today.

2 comments:

Sam Reaves said...

Greyish one ftw indeed.

melanie is amazing! said...

so insane. i love it. totally worth the time.