1.25.2009

Very excited!

So I just got off the phone with Paul Cornwell, owner of Rockstar Gold. I went by the shop yesterday and left my name and number with the girl who works there not really expecting a call back. And then today he called me and he is very interested in the whole project, and he himself is a very interesting person. He is actually quite a big figure in Atlanta, especially in the music scene and with cannabis reform. He built, opened, and owned the famous punk and rock club, the Metroplex, in Atlanta a while ago. The Metroplex was closed down in 1989 for various reasons, and the building ended up burning down soon after. There is a whole history to go along with that venue, and I've recently read a lot about it, and Paul shared a lot with me on the phone. It was during the time of the Metroplex and when he ran a record label and throughout his life, he collected tons of music and cannabis memorabilia and collectibles. He said a lot of the stuff is also what his parents collected. He never had the intention to sell any of it, but around 2001 he decided to open Rockstar Gold after he began selling his stuff on Ebay. It was originally in a different building, and then he moved it to it's current location about 3 or 4 years ago. He originally planned the building to be a bar, and he also bought a building next to it that was going to be the new location of the Masquerade, but not any more. All of the design his store currently has he has done himself, and he also has done design work for other businesses including The Alley Cat, which is a bar in Underground. He said he also went to school for art, except at UGA, and he is more than willing to see what I come up with, and meet at talk to me whenever. I am really excited now to work with this place and to come up with some good designs.

I took some pictures yesterday (of course my camera died right when I got there, so all I have are some cell phone pics)...







1 comment:

Tres Swygert said...

Better than no pictures at all Shivani! LOL Good to see that you found a way to get the pics still, and that the owner was enthusiastic about this project. :)